Saturday, May 07, 2005

Poetry

Hello there, welcome to my new blog. For certain reasons that I am too lazy to explain, I've decided to change to using blogspot, and I've decided to use ready-made templates. Extremely good for lazy people like me, who wants a pretty blog, but too lazy to learn how to make one. Thanks to all the good people out there who bothers to make blog templates. You guys are amazing.

Anyway, I am still keeping my old journal over at livejournal.com. Maybe someday, I will start doodling with it again. Who knows? My friends say that I should make a conscious effort to blog more often, because it is a good way for them to keep up with my life. But when I blog, they don't bother to read. You never really know what is the right thing to do.

Do you like my current template? I think it is cute. Not my style, but very adorable. I like things that doesn't really look like anything, but vaguely like something. Then when you tag a name onto it, it becomes something. Doesn't make sense? Well try, because I am not going to repeat myself again.

The good thing about reading is that if you read something that you do not understand, you can always read it over and over again, until you make some sense out of it. If you still do not, then maybe giving up is a good idea.

This is how I feel during my poetry lecture, but instead of reading, I was having trouble listening. The sad thing is I do not get a chance to really ponder over what the lecturer said, before he moved on to mumble about something else. Yes, my lecturer mumbles, he's weird.

He kept talking about pleasure. While poetry is certainly a pleasurable activity for some, I fail to see why my lecturer has to emphasize on the word so much. And when he start to mention words like "sexual appetite" and "passion", both in the same sentence, I somehow lost track of the main points he was trying to bring forward. *shrugs* It's hard being a literature student.

Not to waste my time, however, I started dooling. And I wrote a poem myself. It's not really a master piece or even a proper poem at that, but I thought it to be rather funny.

As I sat listening to my poetry lesson,
I wonder why do they even bother
To put an analysis on art.
Why scrutinise every word of Wordworth
When the man is long dead and buried?
Is it not better
To just celebrate his cleverness?
Instead of turning him in his grave
With abysmal guesses of his creation.
I claim not to be a poet,
I simply just like to doodle.
Laugh all you want at my little verse,
At least I don't claim to know poetry.

Up to around this part, my lecturer dismissed us. I am not sure whether I would have continued if the lecturer had not. Reading it now, I think it's kinda a charming little amaterish effort. What do you think?