Sunday, March 13, 2011

日本大好き

I am cancelling my plans for Japan.

My heart feels heavy when I made the decision, because it really feels like I am abandoning a friend in need.

When I first heard the news of the earthquake and tsunami, I had no intentions of changing my plans to go Japan just because of what happened. I still wanted to go, even if being there means I may have to bear witness to the devastation of the disaster. It's my own small way of providing whatever puny bit of moral support it may represent.

But with the news of possible nuclear meltdown, my friends and family are asking me to reconsider my trip. Tien even said that she won't allow me to go, so sweet of her, and my mum is very concerned too. I really do not want to cause them unnecessary worry for something that I have a choice in, hence I am cancelling my trip.

Dear Japan, I have not forsaken you. I will be back someday, I promise. Be strong.

On a lighter note, since I already have all that leave set aside, I am thinking of Korea earlier, like one year earlier. But I am SO not ready for Korea. I haven't picked up enough Korean yet, have not done any research on where I want to go yet, except I know I want to go Gyeongju for sure (can we say a HEYO for Queen Seon Deok?).

Should I? Should I? Or Taiwan instead?

I don't know man. I hate to miss Korea in case the world really ends in 2012. Sigh... Me and my weird thoughts again. It's getting hard to contain them.