Wednesday, May 11, 2011

From The Bottom Of My Selfish Heart... Really.

Seriously I had it with all the bullshit behaviour because of GE. It was something that I have to tolerate before the GE, because such exchanges of opinions are necessary for people to make an informed decision, but now that it's over, can we just move on?

I don't support any party and I honestly don't think I have the time or energy to get all worked up over anyone. I rather spend all that time and energy on my loved ones or try learning new things to upgrade myself so that those SCARY FOREIGN TALENTS WON'T COME AND TAKE AWAY MY JOB! OMFG! WHAT SHOULD I DO?

What's with this obsessive fear that they will snatch ALL OF OUR JOBS? Please! Most Singaporeans are so elitist that they wouldn't just take any job anyway, either salary not high enough, benefits not extensive enough, location not good enough, or company name not pretty enough. I cannot count how many times I hear someone say that they want to work overseas because they feel that they will be happier and can make a better living than in Singapore. So if you don't want something and someone else takes it, then suddenly they are thieves? And do you think if you really go overseas, people won't despise you like you despise the foreign talents here? And I really cannot believe how harsh some people are being. Calling them all sorts of names and telling them to go home.

PLEASE TRY TO REMEMBER THAT MOST OF US ARE DESCENDANTS OF IMMIGRANTS WHO ALSO CAME HERE TO SEEK A BETTER LIFE. You think those villagers from the fishing village very happy to see our grandfather and grandmother come here, cut their trees and steal their fish? If they had gotten really dulan and used their fishing spears to chase our ancestors out, you think you will even be here saying all these things today? You may just turn out to be, God forbid, a/an (insert derogatory racial slur here).

If anyone think I am selfish or that I don't love my country, so be it. Who can really claim that their motives are not entirely self-serving?

Those people who supports the Opposition oh-so-wholeheartedly, can you honestly say that you are not using them to vent out your own personal frustrations against the Government? Can you honestly say that you REALLY just want to fight for a better life for the rest of your fellow countrymen who, in your eyes, are suffering?

If your reasons are self-serving, then just admit it. I will respect you all the more for it. Don't pretend to get all holy-preachy on the people who supports PAP, accusing them of not loving their country just because they choose to support the party that they feel can offer them better living options, albeit at a high cost.

And those who kept saying that people who vote for PAP better not complain about crowded trains or whatever shit, I have one question. Does this mean I can slap you the next time I see you sitting on a public bench built by our Government aka PAP? Or when you go to the library to borrow a free book? And you better make sure you donate your growth package to charity too. The money is soiled with corruption! Don't use! It will taint your pure soul of moral righteousness!

I also do not agree with the idea of having a by-election for Potong Pasir. The lost was sad, I feel for Mr Chiam See Tong and hope he take this chance to get a very, very well-deserved rest, but the people had a chance and although it was close, the majority did voted for a change. It is what it is. Singapore is known for our strict laws, and this is something good. If a petition really pushed through for a by-election today, tomorrow we will have more and more people trying to play it fast and loose with the rules, because hey if something like election results can be vetoed if enough people supports it, why not I try to petition for something else too? Before you know it, we will be back in the 70s when gangsters collect protection money everywhere, and flies hover all around our food WHILE we are eating it.

Also if PAP agrees to something like that, which probably will never happen, what is to say that they won't try to push for a by-election for Aljunied too? Or even Hougang? One person down is one opponent's advantage to victory, you know?

And don't be too smug, PAP supporters! Stop calling Opposition supporters ungrateful or ignorant! You think you are so smart? Open your eyes! Our government is not perfect. Yes, they have done a lot of good; clean and safe streets, a somewhat good education system, exposure to global influences and all the trappings of a great metropolitan. Growing up here, there are a lot of opportunities for learning and the cultivation of personal development, and I am appreciative of that. But no one can deny that our government really seems to enjoy making citizens pay. In the past few years, it's like their favourite pastime is to erect ERP gantries, raise GST, parking, housing, anything that comes with a price tag, you name it, they increase it. And more and more people find themselves severely unable to cope because what they earn just cannot catch up to the fast rising prices.

And this is the reason why we need the Opposition. Not to oppose every single policy or to tear apart everything that was built up before, but to keep a balance and to put things in better perspective. To say the things that is on everyone's mind, but not talked about due to whatever reason be it fear or just lack of opportunity. We may not be suffering a lot as compared to some other countries, but I think what a lot of people need is to be given a chance to take in a breath of fresh air.

And I can't say I am not disturbed that they earn more a day than what my whole family spend in a week. Also, things like ridiculously unqualified parliament members, a particular government-related entity unreasonably terminating an opposition party supporter, callously leaving an opposition's ward to its own devices immediately after the elections, all these things are just not right. PAP, now is the time when you can choose to be gracious and show the citizens that you can live up to your promises, whether to thank your supporters for believing in you, or to prove the people who don't believe in you wrong.

Someone told me that perhaps the problem is that PAP is too "elite" while the Opposition is too "heartlander". They don't really understand each other's starting and ending point. And I agree. I really do. If only the two can find someway to mesh and communicate better. There are so many good people in both PAP and Opposition. We ARE in the 21st century, there are so many things that were not even thought of in the past made possible today. Is it really so difficult or so terrible for opposing parties to work together and help the people? Are we all not standing on the same earth and breathing the same air?

I am really just trying to be as rational and reasonable as possible. It is just frustrating to me when people defy logic and common sense and start acting crazy. There is really no point in having a good government when the people are turning on each other. There is no need to love the person next to you, you just have to be civil.

Note: If you don't agree with me or any of the things I have posted here, I am all ears. It's always enlightening to hear different views, and learn in the process. But if all you want to do is flame me because I have a different perspective, then just fuck off, ok. I don't care who you support. I don't have patience for people like that anymore.