Friday, September 21, 2012

Race Day Hana!

Finally the last few months of work has brought us to the first day of THE EVENT!

It has been an interesting year yet. Moving over to the Site Office was a refreshing change. Being so near to the track really makes one feel more "involved" with the event. For the first time in a long time, I felt like I am doing my part to make the Race happen, and not just clocking in the hours.

There were many moments where I felt really jaded and wondered if I had it in me for another Race. Especially when I see my team working till the wee hours, looking so tired and broken. But apparently, I do. And I feel really good about everything we have managed to achieved.

I feel so proud of my team, especially my girls. Feeling so much love for them.

I remember one incident when I spilled water all over my desk and couldn't do a damn thing in the moment because I was so damn tired and stoned. They rushed over, moving away my important papers, my laptop, and wiping away the water. One of them even wheeled my chair away so I wouldn't get any water on my clothes.

HOW SWEET IS THAT?!

I have never been able to get into this role of being a "boss" entirely. I have kinda always known myself to be a worker, never a leader. Despite what people may say about my bossy nature. But after two years of being a "manager", I have learnt so much about managing not just my own team, but also my peers as well as my superiors.

It is all about right timing, right things to say, and a lot of luck that you are on the same page with whoever you are talking to.

Mad skills that I will probably never pick up. Ever.

Although people are telling me I am more cheerful this year, and getting better at interacting with people without getting into spasm fits of anger.

Sincerely, I credit this to Buddhism. Nothing like a good ommmmm to dissipate the anger cells! You should try it sometime too!