Saturday, August 28, 2010

Irrevocable

"Why do I like him so much?"

Someone asked me this question recently, looking at me with almost desperate eyes, hoping that I could say something that would miraculously solve the puzzle and provide the assurance that everything will just fall into place in the end.

That he will learn to love her as much as she does him. Or she would eventually stop being so intensely in love with him. And yes, I don't think it's just mere liking anymore. My friend has fallen in love with a guy that do not feel the same way about her.

Been there done that?

I am sure many of us have.

The sad truth is that it is so easy to put our hearts on the table. All in, even if all odds are against us. Because the win is so satisfying and the happiness so additive that any bet just seems worth it, as long as there is a hope of getting there. Even if we have absolutely zero confidence that we can even get our ante back.

And no matter how much a good friend can be there for you, listen to you, give you the crying shoulder you need when the tears just won't stop falling, a friend can never tell you the outcome of this gamble. Only time can...

"Why do I like you so much?

Because we can talk about anything under the sun and forget about what time it was.

Because you make me smile whenever I am down.

Because you look so adorable when you smile sheepishly whenever you do something wrong.

Because I know I did not like you at first and you won me over just by being the way you are.

And because I think I can love you for a very long time..."