Monday, November 01, 2010

F4... AGAIN?!!?

Finally watching the Korean version of Hana Yori Dango (Boys Over Flowers).

I know once again I am really slow, but I am really not looking forward to seeing the same old story played out by different faces in another language so soon after watching the Japanese version (like two years ago, or was it three... Omg! I am that old!) because I was such a big fan of the Taiwanese version.

That said, I am halfway through the second episode and I am liking it lots.

What can I say, the Korean showmakers really know how to pick their boys. Every single one of the F4 guys are pretty boys befitting of the supposedly super handsome F4 and if I may add, not like the manga at all, thank goodness. The manga counterparts all look damn "orbiang" to me now because it started running in 1992 after all.

Man, Korea is really turning out to be the country of pretty boys. And I am kinda glad they did a remake because the Japanese version was such a letdown. The acting was pretty solid, and I really grew to like Shun Oguri, not only as Hanazawa Rui but in other roles as well, but first glance at the guys I really felt that they could have gotten better looking actors. Come on, you already have the Taiwanese benchmark! Don't tell me Japan don't have guys more handsome than that boyish-looking Jun Matsumoto who looks like someone's perpetual younger brother!

Anyway, now that this wrong has been righted, in my eyes at least, I am looking forward to seeing how this cast plays out this familiar plot. Especially the Rui story arc. I have always had a soft sport for Rui. I can never understand why Tsukushi decided to fall in love with Domyouji. Not when I was watching the Taiwanese version, not during the anime, and definitely NOT in the Japanese version!

Of course, I am a little biased here. I just finished watching the Korean version of Mischievous Kiss, again a Korean version, which already have a Taiwanese version, as well as a Japanese version. Another one of my favourite manga-turn-drama. In a nutshell, I think I still prefer the Japanese version. Although I think both the Taiwanese and Korean version are not too bad and lived up to my expectations. But Kim Hyun Joong is really cute! Which is why I decided to watch the Korean version of Hana Yori Dango.

Haha, notice that I keep using the Japanese names instead of the Korean ones? Because they all sound the same to me! I cannot figure out who is calling who, so I shall just stick the original Japanese version I remember.

Hanazawa Rui~~~