Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Guilty Thoughts

Today during an interview, I said something to a candidate and after the session, my boss told me I shouldn't have said that to her because it seemed to have affected her morale.

I couldn't stop thinking about it after that, not just because I made her feel bad, no matter how unintentional it may be, but that I did not even realised it. I think I am someone who is fairly empathic and intuitive towards others' feelings. It's just disappointing to learn that I can be that oblivious.

I think ever since my promotion I got a little bit complacent, and perhaps somewhere along the line, I forgot how nerve-wrecking it can be to go for interviews. I should really try to be more compassionate and put myself in their shoes more.

It's just not that easy when you have to interview so many different types of people and although there were some really good ones, there was just some of them that were really plain tedious to sit through. How to be considerate when all you want to do is to scratch the table in sheer frustration?

This is very humbling for me. Thank goodness the rounds of interviews are coming to an end soon.