Monday, February 07, 2011

Highlights Of The January

开工大吉 tomorrow!

So much to do in February! What with my birthday coming up - thisgalisgettingolderbythesecondohshit - and Wyn's wedding. I am very excited about her big day because it's the first big wedding of the Pinkies, so we all get to wear our standardised bridesmaid dresses and do the gate-crashing thing together for the first time! I am looking forward to it so much that I actually ordered two dresses online for the dinner at night, just in case.

Anyway, I know I have been tardy in updating my blog recently. Seems like so much had been going on in the later part of January.

Some friends from Macau came to visit, so I went around sightseeing with them, looking at Singapore through the eyes of a tourist. I even visited Singapore Flyer and the Universal Studios, where I had a lot of fun! I am seriously considering visiting Japan's USS too because I enjoyed myself so much.

I have to say again that I am really proud of my sunny (albeit a little rainy recently) little island. Although I would not say it is a super awesome place for tourists, we are after all a wee bit tiny, and the shopping can be expensive, but we are a fast-paced, rapidly developing city that still retains a lot of local flavour and culture.

Then there was also Wyn's hen's night, which I thoroughly enjoyed even though I went a little later than the others because I was out with my Macau friends. It's been a long time since we went clubbing, and the spirits were high because we were celebrating such a happy occasion! I won't lie, there were plenty of body-twisting and butt-shaking. =D

And last but not least in the highlights of January, I blogged about having a bout of good news a couple of weeks ago, and I am now finally able to share it. I have been promoted to Assistant Manager, wef 1st February! *self-applause, self-applause*

It may seem silly to be so excited over a promotion, people get promoted all the time, but it's the first time for me, so I am really happy. It kinda feels surreal because it all happened very quickly, pretty much in line with how I got into this company in the first place.

Going into this job, initially as a contract staff, it was really just a temporary stint for me at the time. I was in Macau when the offer came, trying to take a break from what I can only classify as a burnout from life, and I thought it would be a good idea to come back home for a bit, earn some cash and see where I go from there.

And it was the most challenging job I ever had. Late nights with severe lack of sleep, high levels of stress while at the same time having to be independent and also coaching my own team of staff, I had to learn a lot of different things very quickly. There were days when I only had maybe two or three hours of sleep for weeks running, and all I had to keep me going was the adrenaline rush that came with the stress and the bite of the deadlines on my back.

It is not something everyone would want to do, and definitely not something anyone can do. Even with my best-compatible-with-stress work nature, I broke down more than once in my two years on the job.

Yet, I really like it. The great sense of satisfaction of a job done in such an environment is so addictive. So much so that I immediately decided to stop fooling around like a useless bum said yes when they offered me a permanent position. And here I am. From a 3-month contract staff to an Executive last year, to becoming Assistant Manager this year, it really does feel like quite a journey for me.

And there is, of course, always someone to thank. My dearest Manyzer, Miss Jocelyn Ong Ah Lian (haha!), who made the call to offer me the contract job and also recommending me for the perm position. I consider her to be one of my mentors in life and I am truly thankful to her, not just for offering me a job, but for inadvertently pulling me out of the slum that I was in and given me a stepping stone in my career.

I learned a lot from her, and although we definitely had our differences, we did build up quite a good rapport while working together. She is someone who really knows my personality and character well, and has also become a very good friend to me. I really miss her now that she has gone off to graze in other pastures. MANYZER!!! YOUR EXEC MISS YOU!!! *awkward silence moment because we both hate moments of greasy, mushy gestures and/or declarations*

Heh. That went on for a while, so as per usual, to keep your interest, how about two pictures?


Rendezvous In SG with Macau friends


The aforementioned body-twisting, butt-shaking ladies! WOOT!