Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Post That Triumphs All Previous Posts For The Past Two Months!

It has been a while since I last sat down and did a proper blog post. The last one don't really count because it was just a cheap shot at self-attempted glorification. So anyway, I was talking to Mr Rainbow the other day - yes he is still around, I have not murdered him and tossed his body into the Kallang River - and I asked him whether he thinks that I am an "act artsy fartsy", and his reply was "kinda". The axis of my world tilted as my majorest of fears was confirmed.

Not that I am one who simply take one person's opinion and run away with it. It's just that well, I sort of expected people to think that of me, it's just sad to have confirmation. BOOHOOHOO!

Oh well, I just find it unfair that if a Singlish-speaking, Hokkien-spewing Asian person expresses just a tiny wee bit of appreciation for the arts, it will gather some sort of negative idea that she might be "acting". And the irony here is that if a English-speaking, some-foreign-language-or-other-spewing Asian person expresses any form of appreciation for the arts, people will also tend to suspect her legitimacy by tagging her as a "wannabe" or even a "show-off", which ever is worse in your book.

I know I am just generalising here, but got to admit, it is a pretty accurate generalisation.

But the thing here is, some of us may really, truly appreciate the arts, I admit that I may not be able to tell a Picasso from a Fabio, nor will I have any major reaction of any sort if they accidentally set the Mona Lisa on fire. But it doesn't mean that I do not enjoy standing in an art gallery, staring at a painting and letting out a gasp of amazement at the wondrous amaz-zeness that is the piece.

It's just sad sometimes that people have to explain themselves. And I shall not contribute further to it by changing the subject. Because I suddenly realise that I have absolutely no direction to go with it.

So how is everyone doing on watching the Olympics?

I remember staying up to catch the live telecast during the 2004 Athens Olympics. I had a working TV in my room then, and would dutifully tune in every night just to watch Ian Thorpe swim his way to retirement. Back then, one of his biggest contenders was Michael Phelps, who was sort of a up-and-coming swimmer who already had a few medals to his name. And this year, it seems Phelps is determined to make the news all by himself.

Ahhh, swimming, my absolute favourite sport of the Olympics. What is not to like? Rippling muscles gliding through clear blue waters. I shall not elaborate further. You get the drift.

Anyway, I guess I really want to get back to reading the book I just picked up on Monday with Lyn. It's just amazing what being jobless can do to you. I finally got sick of sleeping half the day away and playing games for the other half, and am now attempting to make my brain work a little by reading a book. Although the semi-desperate title of "Why am I always the one before The One?" does not reflect very well on me, it is really a very interesting book. And while I like to pretend that I don't give a flick that it is actually a romance self-help book by saying in a haughty, self-serving tone that "I only bought it because it seems funny", but oh well, a girl needs all the help she can get, right?

And it is REALLY a very interesting and funny book!

PS: And just to prove my point, here's a short paragraph that I really like:

"Perhaps I am a miserable old trout, but I find it odd that a newly together couple should be completely head over heels without one of them being a f**kwit, standoffish or playing games. I just don't buy it." - Charlotte Ward (Why am I always the one before The One?)"

The word f**kwit alone is worth the price of the book IMHO. LOLLOLLOL!