Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Big Uncle

I visited my Uncle with my Mum today.

I had not seen him in a long while and it was really nice to see him. I always call him 'Big Uncle' in dialect because my Mum had two brothers from my Grandma, and he is the eldest.

With his neatly shaven head and easy smiles, he looked so at ease and accepting of his circumstances, cracking jokes and making funny faces, constantly making me and my Mum break into laughter.

Although if you look closely, the tinge of sadness, regret and resignation are all there in in his eyes. Along with a wisdom that comes with understanding the inevitability of life and the things that are really important.

I remember him as a filial son, a caring brother and a doting uncle, whose only weakness ought to be a love for the easy life and his misguided sense of loyalty, that led him into trouble more often than not.

He is a good man who was simply dealt an unlucky lot in life.

Several times during the meeting, I felt tears threatening to sprung to my eyes. Especially when he kept turning to smile kindly at me, while listening to my Mum and giving her advice. He also kept pointing to me and gesturing how tall I have grown and giving me thumbs up. He also told me to cherish my Mum because she is an amazing woman.

Carrying me on his shoulders, buying me ice-cream and candy, and teasing me for being a fat kid in a funny way that always makes me laugh.

Big Uncle.

Whatever path you are on, you are not alone. We are here.