Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Dreams

One of the most thought-provoking conversation I had with my cousin. This is the harsh reality of what a lot of people in their late-twenties feel after working for a couple of years. As per usual, meanings of non-English words in brackets.

jEn: Learning to appreciate:
haizz...sometimes i think working makes you very bitter
cuz you see some ppl you really really feel like slapping
the classic Chao (Hokkien for "smelly", when used in this context, it's a metaphor that can best be equate to the word "bloody") slacker
simi (Hokkien for "what", when used in this context, can also mean everything) also make ppl do
siam (Hokkien for "avoid") this siam that

Keiia:
yeah
i have become cynical ever since i've been working

jEn: Learning to appreciate:
ya lor
work is cancer

Keiia:
i don't have dreams anymore

jEn: Learning to appreciate:
it kills you slowly and surely
ahhahaa

Keiia:
i only want to do stuffs with my pay every month
that's the dream

jEn: Learning to appreciate:
orh I still dream, only when I'm sleeping

There was just something raw that hit me when the thought that I really don't have dreams anymore occurred to me. It kinda saddens me that I feel this way. At the same time, it makes me more determined not to let myself go into a rut like that.

There are, and will be, dreams. Just that I have YET to realise them. Of that, I'm sure.

"I just want Us to be together forever. That is my dream."