Monday, March 21, 2011

K-News Means Keiia News, Not Korean News

I was so bored out of my bejeezus yesterday. So I decided to start watching Dream High. I don't know why I did not feel the urge to watch it before. I just didn't. Maybe because I don't want to be reminded of how old I am getting. Or maybe because Taecyeon has a really haolian face.

But it's really good! Sorta Glee-ish, but I personally feel that it's better than Glee. At least I don't feel annoyed by the singing half the time. The singers on Dream High are really quite good.

And I was so pleasantly surprised to see Ahn Kil Kang in the show! Chilsuk!!! I just can't help but draw parallels between Dream High and Queen Seon Deok. Seems like Ahn Kil Kang is playing a similar role in Dream High as well. The seemingly antagonist who was pretty much the catalyst that drove the main female lead to greatness.

And of course the Hye Mi-Shi Hyuk-Sam Dong dynamic is just so reminiscent of the Deok Man-Yu Shin-Bidam love triangle. I wonder who I will end up rooting for. I was definitely a Yu Shin-rang supporter in Queen Seon Deok, but I find myself leaning towards Sam Dong in Dream High. His country boy charm and what I presume is a Korean dialect accent is so endearing!

Anyway, in other K-news, I think it's official. I am irrevocably a SHINee fan now. Damn. How did that happened.

I was watching a video of SHINee's January concert over the weekend and saw the part where Jonghyun apologised to the audience repeatedly and started crying. I couldn't help it, he sounded so sad that I started tearing a little too. I really feel bad for him. Having to feel guilty because he just wants to be happy is something so wretched and heartbreaking. And the show of support from the other boys was really moving. I think Onew and Key cried too. Not sure about Minho and Taemin, but both of them showed solidarity for sure.

So, because I was so touched that I actually shed tears, there is really no choice but to be a fan. The only other time I ever cried for an idol group was for Shinhwa during their Guerrilla Concert, where they cried too. Such strong emotions just creates an unbreakable loyalty from a fan to the group she supports.

Although I must say I am starting to find Taemin a little disturbing. He seems to be able to control his emotions too well. He only smiles. At times when something is really funny, he laughs a bit before hiding behind the smile again. That's it. It may be something that people pick up naturally as they get older, but an 18-year-old?

I don't know man. Feels like Little Dude's got an old soul, which I like, but I still think he is leaving his childhood behind too fast, too soon.

Anyway, I am quite excited to see how the boys grow and mature in the industry. Just hope they don't go the way of many groups in the business. Learn from your Shinhwa sunbaenim!

I don't know what is it with me and groups from SM Entertainment, current or previous, with names starting with "S". I just have a special liking for them. Maybe because "SM" is also my initials with "S" being the first letter of my surname?

*shrugs*