Monday, December 12, 2005

The Ramblings Of A Blurb

I am a junkie, I am a junkie. Bahaha, whenever I start to like a band which is very mainstream (i.e. A LOT of fans, i.e. A LOT of teenage fans), I get very disturbed.

I am not the type who goes around waving light-sticks and shout "I WILL ALWAYS SUPPORT YOU, YOU STUPID ASSHOLES WHO ARE ONLY FAMOUS BECAUSE YOU LOOK GOOD AND HAVE SOME TALENT, BUT STILL MOST IMPORTANTLY BECAUSE YOU LOOK GOOD!"

Seriously, no one would think that I would be remotely interested if the looks-factor is like zero. Yeah, I am shallow in that sense. Just look at the phenomenon of a certain singer from Taiwan who is named like the sea. After he "came out", I bet you he surely lost a certain large portion of his fans who were disappointed that he is not the adorable, yet a little bit funky, boy next door that they put on his CD covers. Kinda serves him right, he should had been more honest from the start, draw an uglier cartoon, like Shrek, or something so that he did not had so much to live up to. See, Shrek is not a pretty sight, but he stood by himself, err, and his greenness, and in the end, everyone likes him. It's a pity about the guy who is named like the sea really, because he does have a good singing voice.

The thing is, nowadays, any amount of people in the streets can sing. With training, they could even morph into great singers, but the packaging is too important. We prefer a beautiful voice with a beautiful face. If the package is not pretty, who would bother exploring what's inside?

What makes me disturbed is that when I start to like them, I am on the same plane with A LOT of people who I think are really quite different from me, and who will probably dislike me because they don’t understand why someone like me would even dare to desecrate their holy idols by declaring my interest in them (the idols, not the people. Goodness, try to keep up!).

For example, they will tell you that they really like a band because the singer REALLY can sing. It's not JUST the looks. Well, I say, forget the singing, if he's really cute, he could be yelling racial slurs at me, and I would think that he's standing up for his beliefs.

Another example: They would be clamouring for the best seats, as near to the stage as possible, while I would automatically want to go to the last row because it's the furthest point from the stage I can be, and still be able to see the stage. Why? The music is too damn loud. I want to hear them sing, but I also like my ears. They are pretty ears, some say they look like elf ears. And really, what's the point? It's not like anywhere we sit, they could see us. We are no more than blurbs (note: this word actually has a meaning! It means: a brief publicity notice, as on a book jacket. Woot!) to them.

Final example. Just to prove that I am unique and intelligent, and that I think so very highly of myself, while all the other people as just useless, silly fools. I am arrogant enough to talk like that, because I am not harbouring any wishes that maybe the band would come to my humble little blog, and begin to admire my quick wit, my profound intelligence, the fluid literacy of my writing, and my extensive vocabulary. Bahaha, plus making fun of people that I like is almost like an occupation to me. And I can get very creative. See what I mean about the fans being very much likely to hate me?

Frankly speaking, I don’t think that celebrities are very nice people. I may like them and go a little crazy over them, but if I ever do get to meet them in the open, they would probably look at me, but not really seeing my face. I am just a blurb (teeheehee, the poetic justice) to them. They would also probably step on my feet in their haste to hurry away before some crazy people tears off their clothes and offer their blood to them, and they wouldn’t even SAY SORRY! I dislike people who do not say sorry when they established accidental body contact. It’s deplorable!

Sigh, but I still love to love them, because, otherwise, life would be less fun and not so interesting.