Monday, April 02, 2007

Plateletpheresis (Part 2)

Ahhh, finally found some time to blog. Went to the company retreat chalet on Saturday, and only got home around 10+ yesterday morning and slept all the way through. I love sleeping through the day when you haven't slept at all the previous night.

Had to work 5.30 - 10.00 today, so didn't have the chance to blog until now. Just reached home. SO HUNGRY!!! Just a few more minutes to go before I can eat my food at 12 am. Today is 15th of the Lunar month, so I can't eat meat. But at 10 pm at night, where to find vegetarian food? So I have to wait. My long-sufferance in being a twice-a-month vegetarian is not being unable to eat meat, but being unable to find food without meat in a meat-loving country like Singapore.

Anyway, about the plateletpheresis on Friday, which some of my friends are asking about. Actually only three people ask lar, but still is some mah. More than one = some. Keke. Ooo, as of now is four! Because Ivy just asked! It's officially SOME!!!

Anyway, I went to SGH and proceeded to the Haematology Centre. The staff was very friendly, and it kinda helped me get over the nervousness of it. I guess I am a little bit of a needle-phob.

Anyway, they did all the neccessary registration stuffs and told me to wait. Then one the staff took out the NEEDLE *dum dum dum* and walked towards me. The good thing is I am no stranger to needles anymore, so I turned to the wall and starting reading this news article about people who falsely declare their sexual history, and was convicted because of that. No worries there, the furthest my sexual history ever went was watching two couples trying to get it on in their car in a multi-story carpark. Safe!

So the staff drew out two little test tubes of blood and started to stick labels on them. It was surreal seeing my own blood rolling around in the tubes, a kind of detachment as if it was somebody else's blood.

The friendly staff then slapped a plaster on my arm and said "Ok! You may go now!" Wah, I could almost feel the "gua gua gua" music in my head. Apparently, before we can even donate platelets, we must do a blood screening first. Grrr, tell me earlier lah! Make me nervous for no reason.

But anyway, the staff called today and told me to go down for the donation this week. So guess I have no STDs or any funky disease and is ready to go for one plateletpheresis!

And now the nervousness begins anew...