Sunday, January 11, 2009

Weekend Updates

Saturday began on a slow note for me as I woke up and lazily made my way to Bedok to meet Supootman and Mr Sadist for the tattoo exhibition at expo. The exhibition was not as good as I thought, but some of the tattoos were really amazing.

Lots of artwork that covers almost the entire body and they were really good too. There was this guy with a very vividly done tattoo of a tiger under a full moon that I really, really liked.

I've been thinking about getting inked for the longest of time, probably since my poly days. I even have a design in mind.

Nothing big or fanciful. Just a small symbolic thingy that means something only to me. But with Mima's adamant objections and my own fear of regretting getting something so permanent...

Ahhh, but now that I've been to the exhibition, I feel like getting something bigger and with colour. Heh. But I am sure Mima would freak out. What is it with the older generation and the idea that tattoos are evil. To them, it's like once a person gets inked, he/she automatically morphs into the world's greatest evil or something.

Anyway, after spending a couple of hours at the exhibition, the guys decided to head over to Katong for lunch (Katong laksa~~~) and to get haircuts. After which, Mr Sadist had to go meet his dad, so me and Supootman went over to Parkway Parade to walk around and I decided to get Sophie Kinsella's "The Undomestic Goddess" at Borders.

I am so hooked on her books! She has a very lighthearted way of writing that really entertains me, especially after a stressful day of checking manuscripts.

And Parkway is so happening! Got Borders wor! Haha.

After I got my book, we were walking past that shop there which sells herbal jelly and herbal tea, when I saw my friend sitting inside with a girl with rather long hair. It would not have been strange if not for the fact that my friend stays in Jurong, and I know for a fact that he hates to go to the East side unless he has a very good reason. And his girlfriend has short hair.

Again, there is probably nothing wrong with an attached guy from the West side having herbal tea with a female friend in the East side (*sings* when the East meets the West~~~~). But somehow, something just did not feel right.

So I immediately walked away, not wanting to be caught in an awkward situation. Then Supootman asked me why I didn't want to say hi to my friend. I told him, and the KPO quickly scurried back just so he could get a proper look at my friend. It couldn't have taken him more than 10 seconds to walk back, and when he did, he very excitedly informed me that my friend had disappeared!

So did he see me and decided to leave?

Fishy, very fishy indeed.

Being very boh liao, we walked around the immediate area to play detectives for a bit, trying to see if we can spot them in the crowd or something, but couldn't see them anywhere.

Now that was indeed a really, very quick escape.

Fishy, very fishy indeed.

But anyhoo, after our little CSI stint, we were both hungry and decided to have dinner at Ichiban Sushi, after which I had to leave for The Cathay to meet up with some friends and for a movie.

After my movie ended at around 1 plus, I decided to meet up with Supootman again, who was at Robertson Quay with some of his friends. But by the time I reached, the pub they were at was closing, so we decided to go over to this place at Haji Lane called Nabins, which has recently become a rather regular hangout for us.

However, one of the guys, let's call him Mulman, had to send his girlfriend home first and asked us to head over to Haji Lane first. But Supootman wanted to go to Boat Quay to look for another friend first, so we took a cab there, but we couldn't find his friend so we got onto another cab to Haji Lane, where Mulman and another friend were already waiting for us.

I think I have never been to so many places in one day before. But but but... That's not all. You'll see.

So while at Nabins, we were happily chilling away upstairs, having a wonderful time if I may add, when this guy downstairs starting yelling at one of the girls in his group. Now this guy looks very young, probably not more than 20 years old, a typical ah beng sprouting all kinds of colourful Hokkien vulgarities.

He looked like he was about to hit the girl or something, and of course we were upstairs looking on with much interest. When Mulman said something about girls being sluts or something a little too loudly, which the guy downstairs heard.

He promptly turned his attention to us, swearing and cursing at Mulman, at one point shouting something like, "Knnbcb! You lj! Yada yada yada..."

And Mulman got really pissed off.

Now a little background about Mulman, he is an Indonesian who had lived in Texas for a really long time, so he is practically half an ang moh. He is really a very nice and fun guy to have around. But when he is not happy, he is not afraid to get into trouble. And he is definitely not happy with this young punk calling him names.

So a young punk of probably not more than 20 versus a half ang moh almost in his 30s, who he himself said, grew up eating burgers.

Eyyy...

Despite the three of us trying to stop him, he grabbed one of the bottles and went downstairs to confront the guy. I was the last one to go downstairs because they asked me to remain upstairs at first. (Ahhh, how nice to feel like the protected damsel or something.) Haha! But seeing that the situation was about to get nasty, I quickly went downstairs.

It was pretty chaotic by the time I was downstairs. Mulman was trying to get to the guy, Supootman was trying to pull Mulman back, the boss of the place was trying to pacify Mulman, the guy's friend was standing in front of Mulman, trying to act as a buffer between Mulman and his friend. And I heard Mulman shouting:

"HEY DUDE! I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOKKIEN, BUT I KNOW LJ MEANS. ARE YOU CALLING ME A DICK? YOU WANT DICK? YOU WANT TO SUCK MY COCK?"

Okay, this is really amusing now, but at that point of time, I was really afraid that bottles will fly and blood will be shed. And it did not help matters that I saw Supootman also holding a bottle behind his back in one hand.

And the guy? What an asshole!

I think he probably thought that Mulman was pretty harmless from downstairs, but when he saw that he meant business, he started hedging.

I couldn't really hear what he was saying, but when Mulman raised his empty bottle, the guy jumped a few steps back. And as if that was not enough, he actually danced, literally danced, his way to...

Hide behind the two girls that were there.

Pui pui pui!

If you want to start trouble, then don't hide behind women! What kind of a guy are you? And Supootman later told me that he actually tried to push the blame to his girlfriend or something! OMG! What an asshole!

Total coward! Pui pui pui!

But still, I did not want any flying bottles to hit any crouching-behind-women asshole, so I quickly latched onto the bottle in Mulman's hand and tried to pull it away.

And I was kinda flung forward a few steps when he moved his arm to gesture at the guy. He probably did not even feel someone trying to pull his bottle loh. -_-

After a few more minutes of back and forth, we finally managed to calm Mulman down and pulled him back upstairs with us.

Phew. That was the excitement of the night. I find it really interesting that we could go to clubs and those rowdy pubs and never see any trouble. But at a nice, quiet place like Narbins... Haha.

And another note. Singaporeans hor, when they get into brawls, they only know how to toss out terms like CCB lar, KNNBCCB lar, LJ lar, your mother lar, your father lar, you want to fight issit, and etc etc.

But people from the West are really interestingly different.

They've got meaning! They can actually ask if you would like to do this or do that. They've got a whole scenario going on. There is more of a logic structure to the stuffs that they shout out rather than just a few vulgarities which sometimes really makes no sense if you lump them together.

^__________________^

Anyway, the rest of the night was pretty uneventful, we sat around and chatted until about 5.30 before Mulman had to go. Leaving me and Supootman to walk around, trying to decide if we wanted breakfast (eyyy, seems like all we do is decide if we want to eat, bleh), and ended up chatting for two hours on the stone seats opposite Raffles Hospital.

And as if that was not enough, he suddenly had this crazy idea to have some dim sum. And so... We went. All the way to Chinatown to have dim sum. We even took the train home after that. And I got home at about 12 pm today, almost exactly 24 hours after I left my house the day before.

Haha. From a lazy Saturday at an exhibition to having dim sum at Chinatown at 8 am in the morning the next day. It's been a while since I went to so many place in one day, not to mention the eventfulness of the day itself.

It was like everything that can happen all condensed itself to happen yesterday.

Any-oh-how, I enjoyed myself. It's not every week I get to have such a happening 24 hours. ;]