Wednesday, December 01, 2010

SS501

After about a month of watching their Youtube videos and listening to their songs, I think I am about ready to write a proper post about them. Because I can finally tell them apart now. I've heard of SS501 way before during my Shinhwa-is-uber days. I only liked "Never Again" back then and thought them too boyish and their music too boyband-ish compared to the Shinhwa guys, so they did not get much of my attention.

But time has passed and now, now they are just...

They are just awfully cute!

Never mind if they are younger than me, they are cute. Never mind if they are prettier than me, they are cute. Never mind if they are going to look tiny standing next to giant me, THEY ARE CUTE!

Damn, freakishly cute.

Let's review.


Kim Hyun Joong
Right, the pretty boy leader. The one who got me curious about them in the first place because he's so cute in Mischievous Kiss and Boys Over Flowers. They call him 4D in fandom cultures, I call him 放空王子. He seems so off sometimes. I kinda have this feeling that he's not a very nice person, he seems sarcastic and standoffish sometimes. But that's what I find refreshing about him, it's getting mundane to see celebrities appear charming and pleasant all the time. Intriguing fellow this one. And he can be very, very funny when he wants to be.

He's coming to Singapore by the way, for some Face Shop event this Friday. I am too ashamed to go because I just cannot bring myself to stand amongst the younglings who were wearing diapers when I started chasing after idols. It's their time now.


Heo Yeong Saeng
The "baby-face" of the group, I used to think that he's the youngest of the group. Admittedly, he's not my favourite because I don't really like baby-faced guys. But the more I watch their videos, the more I like him. He's always the one doing stuffs that I would never expect from him. Like the impressions he does, hilarious! And I like the way he talks, softly with an effect that is calming. I think the ability to talk like that is a gift, you can talk people into believing you anytime and doing what you want. He also has one of the more interesting singing voices in the group that I can pick out anytime.


Kim Kyu Jong
I used to call him "gangster face" when I couldn't tell them apart and was trying to give them nicknames to make them easier to differentiate. I really never expect to eventually find him the nicest guy in the group. I find his humbleness rather genuine and he also seem sincerely nice towards the people around him. I like him. Of course the fact that our birthdays are just one day apart contributes to the liking. People with our personalities are damn likable!


Park Jung Min
 He is so annoying! Such a drama-mama. And he is always talking, talking and talking. Damn 38! But when he sings, I am gone. I love his voice! He has this quality to his voice that just gives me chills. I can fully understand why he's in a musical. And I find myself liking carrots more now. Such a good influence. If only he would stop talking so much! Now I can understand why my friends can't stand me sometimes. Hah! Yes, I identify with him the most, which means yes, I find myself annoying too.


Kim Hyung Jun
Okay, I admit. Based on looks and voice alone, I want to marry him. He is so, so, so handsome. Great voice too. He reminds me of Hyesung from Shinhwa. Very, very prince-like. Initially, I always mix him up with Kim Hyun Joong because their names and looks are quite similar, and I kinda felt that he would be quite arrogant because he is so good-looking. But he seems to be a really nice and sweet guy. He's also the true baby of the group, which makes him a tad too boyish for me, personality-wise. Too cutesy. But he's so handsome! I really find him the best-looking one in the group.

Okay, so regardless of everything I've said, whether good or bad, I find them to be really hardworking boys who put in a lot of effort and heart into their craft; they have a few really good songs that I love and their dancework is flawless most of the time.

I really think Korean artistes don't have it easy. I find the Korean entertainment circle to be one of the harshest in the industry, and for anyone to make a name of themselves is really not easy. Lots of crap to take and sacrifices to make.

The dedication a lot of Korean artistes have is something I really respect.