Friday, February 24, 2012

Hardy Boy

Walking past the big screen at Shaw House the past couple of weeks, the trailer for the new Reese Witherspoon movie caught my eye more than a few times. Looking like a romcom one moment and a spy thriller the next, I was rather perplexed about the exact premise of the movie, but I did not gave it much thought. Although I recognised Chris Pine, he just doesn't do much for me. And there's the other guy who reminds me of a Russian government agent. He does not do much for me either, no offence to the Russians.

Until yesterday, I finally decided to take a good look at the trailer. So it IS a romcom slash spy movie. A quick look at the cast list reveals that Tom Hardy IS the Russian government spy lookalike.

Tom Hardy as in Tom Inception's-Eames-I-can-be-anything-you-want-in-your-dreams Hardy. Hey! I liked that dude in Inception! Although he did not have the jaded-guilt-meets-eventual-catharsis thing going for Leo, the danger-smothering-underneath-boyishness JGL had or even the controlled-perplexed-hence-constant-contemplation-yet-not-wanting-people-realising-his-confusion way that Cillian Murphy portrayed his character, Eames is a character you go to for a bit of comic relief from an otherwise depthy movie.

Realising that he was in This Means War gave it a little bit of brownie points. Realising that he is playing the main villian Bane in Dark Knight Rises with Ah Bale is absolute brownie explosion!

*brownies flying all over the place*

He is definitely one of the new actors to look out for this year. Plus, he is actually kinda cute if you really look at him. He is kinda a mix of Chris Evans' boyish, dorkish handsomeness, Vin Diesel's tough guy don't-fucking-mess-with-me countenance, and the aura of intensity that Gerard Butler has in every of his roles. *"THIS IS SPARTA!!!" kicks random ugly dude into big neverending hole*

I imagining myself doing that everytime I think about Gerard Butler.

So yeah, I think Tom Hardy is pretty great. I am currently halfway through Bronson, one of his movies in 2008. And he is simply, for lack of a better word, brillant. Such versatility. He looks like a totally different person. Role immersion at it's very best.