Wednesday, May 11, 2005

A Painting

Click picture to see enlarged version

The Lictors Bring to Brutus the Bodies of His Sons by Jacques-Louis David


The political influence aside, this is a really powerful painting to me. I am usually not interested in the history or reason behind a piece of art. What really interests me is the meaning conveyed by it, and this painting definitely has a very strong meaning behind it. Brutus signed for the execution of his sons for conspiring against the Roman Republic, and the bodies are brought to him after the deed was done. A choice between the his family and his country, and he chose the latter. Very powerful indeed. At least something good has come out of my humanities studies. I might not be scoring the high marks, but at least I get to know of this painting.

PS: Does Brutus reminds anyone of a certain Mr Bana who acted in Troy? Maybe that's why I like the painting so much. =P