Sunday, May 21, 2006

Da Vinci Code

Just watched The Da Vinci Code today, and I have to say that the movie blew my mind. To some, it may be simple bullshit, and to some, an intriguing lost piece of history that they would give up their entire beliefs for.

Whether it is or not is kind of unimportant to me. While watching the movie, the one thing that stands out most to me is that I am grateful that there are so many things in this World that can stimulate our minds. Histories, art, Nature, literature, myths, anything that can give humans a sense of purpose in this life is beautiful.

However, there are certain things that striked me in the course of the movie that held very powerful themes for me. One of which is the theme of women.

One part of the movie talked about the killing of "free-thinking" women. Why? Because men are afraid of them. And for hundreds of years before feminism, so many women have fallen to this oppression. Some have gone mad, some have committed suicide, and many, unknown great minds in their time, discovered only after their deaths. If the book is accurate, then we may have found a reason why. A reason, the real fundamental reason why men tried to oppress women. Because they are afraid of us.

There are many other things that came to me while watching the movie. But this is the most powerful one. And one I will probably think about for a while.

If I don't make sense in this post, I apologise. A lot of things are going through my mind right now. It's rather messy. If I am born before the 20th century, I would probably be locked up in jail by now.