Monday, March 12, 2007

"I am not happy. But... I am not unhappy about it."

"I am not happy. But... I am not unhappy about it."

A quote from the movie History Boys, which I went for without knowing anything about. I usually like to do a little bit of research on a movie before I watch it. Read up the synopsis, know who is acting, generally act like a superior smart-ass to anyone who knows less than me. Well, that's me!

Or I am just a sucker for movie trivia. My eyes actually GLEAMED *ding ding* when people went all surprised to my announcement that King Leonidas is also Phantom Of The Opera. MY SUPERIORITY IN KNOWING USELESS FACTS AND INFORMATION SURPASSES THEM ALL! For I am kind...

OK, OK, I think my friends pretty much had it with me quoting 300 everywhere I go. I mean, I know I would probably feel like slapping the idiot who shouts "PREPARE FOR GLORY" and "TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL!" everywhere she goes, but that does not mean that I will stop it. I am not annoying me, know.

Anyway, back to History Boys. It was not the most exciting of movies, but it was definitely interesting. And the best thing about the movie, in my humblest of opinion, is that it is adapted from a play, with the littlest of details changed and performed by the original cast.

This is a good thing, a lot of good plays and musicals are often butchered by the directors and actors "trying" to turn it into a multi-million blockbuster. Don't get me wrong, most of them are good onscreen, but the magic and power of the stage has been bled out of them, leaving behind a what would probably become a good movie, but nary as beautiful as sitting in the audience and watching stage actors work their magic.

If you don't really get what I am trying to say, just imagine this, a small stage, no larger than half a basketball court. And if the actor can make you believe that he is bringing you, along with him, to over a dozen different places just by way of acting, the lighting and the changes of a few pieces of canvas and props, isn't that simply just exquisite?

Hmmm, I started out this post with the intention of blogging about my thoughts and feelings about happiness, and ended up blogging this far about theatre. But I do so love theatre. A lot of people don't get my fascination with it, some of them think that I am just trying to act arty.

Well, I do admit that I started out my interest in theatre productions because there are so many good-looking actors. But after repeatedly being surprised by the powerful feelings invoked just by sitting in a chair and looking onto the stage, it became something that is very much a part of my life.

I do not really have to go out of my way to convince people of my appreciation, because anyone can know from my words how I really feel about it. Theatre is art, and I think that art really do feed our hearts and our souls, and in the process we always get to learn something about ourselves. Just like how a simple quote from a movie that walking into, I knew next to nothing about, gave me a good perspective of how I feel about my life right now. Except that maybe I would like to change it just a little bit.

I am not really happy about my life right now, but I don't feel unhappy about it. This is what surprises me the most. And this is what gives me hope that a better, happier time will eventually come.