Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sar Ba!!!

I can just so feel this blogging vibe coming up again! Is it the time of year when I start to blog religiously again? We will see.

I finally decided to write up an entry about 300, which is the greatest movie I have seen thus far, for this year. I am not saying it is the greatest movie ever made, everyone should just know that the movie I consider to be the greatest one ever made is, well, nothing. No movie will ever be that great to me.


But 300. Awesome, awsome movie. Fighting, betrayal, conspiracy, nudity, sexuality, 300 abs filling up the entire screen. What's not to like?

Although plotwise, the movie is not really tight enough and a little too convenient in tying up loose ends, it works. Scene after scene, the movie flows and you hardly feel the length of the two hours it takes for the glorious ending of the 300 Spartans. Not trying to spoil the movie, but come on, anyone who knows their history or their Frank Miller comic, knows what happens. But the process of watching of movie is what counts, isn't it? Just like in Troy, I knew that Hector would die, but my heart still pounds whenever I watch the fight scene.

I digress.

I think the best thing about the movie is definitely the characters. Have you ever seen a movie with a lousy plot, but fantastic acting? 300 is a movie with a mediocre plot, rich in historical context (although not historically accurate), and outstanding portrayals. I keep having this idea that the Spartans are like this really bad-assed ancient gang that everyone is afraid of. And the way they war, is so beautifully done. Visual-rich!

For starters, we have Gerard Butler, the PHANTOM OF THE OPERA!!! *starts singing* Erhm, erhm. His transformation into King Leonidas was so complete, I could hardly imagine this was the sicko pervert in P Of The O who was trying to be funny with a girl barely out of her adolescene *paedo alert!!! paedo alert!!!*. And his performance is so reminescent of Eric Bana in Troy! Except that I will have to admit, his Leonidas does appear to be more heroic than Bana's Hector (ahhhhhh, how it pains me to admit!). And the way he delivers his lines, soooo sarcastic yet witty. His Leonidas is like a really nice King to have around, but if you mess around with him, PREPARE TO DIE!!!

And of course, Faramir aka Davin Wenham! Any actor who is a LOTR alumni already won my vote, no questions asked. The way he used his voice to narrate the movie is so moving! I wished I can tell a story like he does. I only think that it is a pity that he did not get more screentime, but I think the one scene at the very end more than demostrates his acting capabilities, not that he needs to prove anything.


Rodrigo Santoro!!! He has been permenently added to my actors-to-look-out-for list. To anyone who might think that he is a lousy actor, watch Love Actually, and you will probably change your mind. I cannot imagine he is the same sweet, dreamy, handsome office hunk in Love Actually!!! Gosh, gosh, gosh! He is like a totally different person in 300! When I first saw the cast list, I automatically assumed that he would be one of the Spartans, maybe the sons of one of the warriors or something, but... HE IS ACTUALLY THE BAD GUY! What happened to sweet, dreamy and handsome? He looks mean, ugly and, forgive me for saying, transexual-like in 300. And anyone can say that I am simple-minded, but that is pretty much what I look for in actors, versatility.

So, as anyone can probably tell, I love the movie. But I have to say that I am not quite happy with certain parts of the movie, I have the feeling that it is trying to cheat me!

Example a: They say what exotic, ferocious animals from all over the World, right? WHERE? I only see rhinoceros and elephants! These people sua ku or what?

Examble b: Chemical say chemical lar! Say what magic, trying to pian siao me, right?

Example c: Erm, cannot think of anymore, but I am sure there are others.

Hehheh, but overall, it is still a great movie. Besides, which other movie in the World can you see the Hunchback of Notre Dame having a conversation with the Phantom Of The Opera? =P I thought of this during the movie, and I could not help giggling to myself. Low-class humour, I know, but I like it. ^_____^

"My life is my own, and I only have my conscience to answer to." - Hensen Moer