Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Beauty Is Skin (And Everything Above The Skin) Deep

Today a classmate came up to me and asked if I have been going to the gym, because it seems like I have lost weight. I told him that I haven't been gyming, but I have been doing some yoga. And he seems pretty amused by that.

For some reason, I am not entirely thrilled that people are beginning to notice that I am shedding some pounds, although I have sort of been "flaunting" it with some new clothes. Probably because I don't know when I would go crazy on the food and slack on the workouts, and put on the weight again. Hehheh, that's vanity and women for you. We want people to think that we are getting prettier by wearing nicer clothes and prancing around with more confidence, but we don't want them to realise that we were not as pretty before because we were heavier.

I think I of all people understand the implications of the superficiality that exists in our world and society today, which is as real as the rising prices of rice and potatoes. It is one of the singlemost repugnant thing that brings forth feelings of contempt and abhorrence in me, and yet, I cannot help but be swept away by the wake of its overwhelming dominance.

Hmmm, okay, in less trying-to-be-chim English. I hate people who just bothers about looks, but I cannot help but feel happy whenever people tells me that I look so much better nowadays.

The me now spends each day after my before-going-out bath, thinking of what clothes to wear, whether I should put on makeup and what shoes to go with the ensemble (and all that effort usually results in me looking monotonously casual, so you can guess how much time REALLY CHIO girls spend). Gone are the days when I try to suppress all forms of superficiality in me by stubbornly choosing to wear t-shirts and jeans everywhere I go, and the adamant refusal to purposely lose weight because I want people to "like me for me".

Maybe it was the deep-rooted resoluteness that should the day come when someone will look at me for me; I will gladly "make myself prettier", because I have finally found the person that I want to become a better person for.

Or perhaps deep down, I know that eventually the day will come when I will succumb to society's shallow definition of beauty and eventually choose to start "becoming prettier", which by today's standards is wearing feminine clothes, makeup and, god forbid, showing more skin.

Sigh... Somehow I am not sure if I really like that.

But the thing here is that, I do feel so much more confident now, especially when I don't have to worry about whether I will look weird when I go out with my friends who are always so much better dressed. And isn't confidence and less worry always a good thing? Which woman in this world TRULY don't like people to look at them and think that they are feminine and pretty? Find me a woman like that and I will call her a liar to her face. Because there is no such woman alive.

I guess it is okay to indulge in beauty and a small amount of shallow superficiality from time to time, if it makes you feel good. The most important thing is not to sacrifice the important things such as your own identity and what you stand for, and also to still get it that looks are not everything.