Thursday, July 07, 2005

Female Malady

Power of the mind? Does anyone even believe in that anymore? Doing my essay on the subject of "female malady", which basically means madness in creative women, makes me doubt even my own sanity. It's tough to do an intense study on a subject and not feel yourself affected in anyway. Especially since the women who suffers from said malady are females with assertive, creative and explorative minds that, sometimes, they themselves have no control over. Something that I like to think that I can identify with.

I guess I should consider myself lucky to live in a World where creativity in women are no longer viewed as something akin to madness. No longer domestic creatures living at the whims of men, women today are able to establish themselves as a power to be reckon with, whether in the literary, artistic or the corporate world.

I feel sad to think that so many great women of the past had succumbed to the physical and psychological pressures not being able to express themselves creatively, and lost their minds. Perhaps to them, losing their senses is the only way they can escape from the oppression of suppressed self-expression.

I don't know how I will feel if anyone took away the means to create words from me, be it in writing or talking. I have always said that I cannot survive without talking. It is not just a joke to emphasize how much I love talking. I actually mean it. If I cannot talk as and when I want to, I think I will start to decompose.

Same goes with writing (even though technically I am typing now. Ahhh, the wonders of technology), if someone takes away my ability to write in any language, well, I will just learn a new one and keep going. A sentence is like a work of art, with the right manipulation of a few words, you can create something that provokes the senses as much as any piece of music or painting will.

As for the madness? Well, I guess as long as you are not oppressed or anything, it should be fine, right? Even if one day, the price of having a messy mind is my eventual fall into the twirling shirls of madness, "I pay it gladly" (John Preston - Equilibrium. I love being able to quote Christian Bale lines in anything I say!!!! Woot!).