Monday, September 05, 2005

Of Blogs, Opinions And Granny Wisdoms

Hmm, there seems to be some kind of War Of The Blogs going on, main players being the few well-known bloggers in Singapore like Xiaxue, SPG or whoever is the big thing in Blogillywood now, and the people who either love or hate them. It's like a whole celebrity zone. Heehee, Blogillywood, heehee.

I am not someone who takes blogging seriously, so it's kinda hard for me to imagine the amount of effort and work they put into their blogs. A typical blog entry of Xiaxue goes on and on, complete with pictures and fully-explored insights. It's an interesting read, really, if you are into the type. SPG's blog is full of these euphemisms that I don't really like to read. I get enough of "serious readings" from my texts. I want something funny, something relaxing, something that I can make judgements on and have a ball doing it. SPG is one serious person, but again, her blog can be interesting if you like the type.

To me, blogging is just some way of practicing some non-serious writing. I do an average of 2 essays a month, and there are plenty of readings I have to do in between. Even though I usually try to research on the Internet to save time, because you can really find the good stuffs online, there are still a lot of "serious readings" to do. Compared to the few thousand words that I have to write per month, having to make sure that every sentence means something, and not just incessant ramblings, blogging is stress-free zone.

Blogging is supposed to be fun! It used to be fun! When did it become so serious? One thing I don't get is why some people seems to hate something, but they keep on going back for more. Like all the Xiaxue haters and the SPG bashers. Why is there this constant need to pass judgements on them. Do it once, and move on!

I thought that Xiaxue is condescending and considers herself to be so much better than she really is, so I stopped going to her blog. Occasionally (dammit! how many Cs, Ss and Ls are there in this word?), I will go back and read some of her entries and think about what a better person I am compared to her, and that's about it. But there are actually people who go back constantly to bash her and argue with her, and I think it's really strange. Do these people actually expect her to agree with them, that she's a skanky whore without a brain? Maybe they really like her, and wants to get her attention, I don't know. It just does not make sense to me.

It's the same thing going on at the IMDB boards, there are some very nasty people there, who always stick by their own opinions and criticise other people's. The name-callings are so creative that you wonder if they stayed in front of the computer the entire day just to think of those names. Seriously, are people not entitled to their own opinions anymore?

The bottomline, if there is one, here is that people are free to think what they want. If their opinions are wrong or biased or skewed, that's their thing and their problem. Feel free to correct, but why insult? Why, why?

Something that my granny used to tell me stuck with me (is there something wrong with this sentence?). She's always telling me that just because there are others who are saying or doing the wrong things, it doesn't mean that we have to be like them. We are just responsible for our own words and actions, as long as we have integrity in what we do, that's what is important. But if someone is out to bite you, bite them back. Haha, thumbs up for my grams, she's one spunky woman.