Saturday, April 07, 2007

A Post

I was talking to a friend who recently got married, at age 24, and she told me that she is beginning to think that she had made the greatest mistake of her life.

When I asked her why, she said "He is just not the hero that I always imagined marrying."

So apparently in less than six months of married bliss, all the shiny veneers were dropped.

I took a good look at my friend, who used to be a bubbly and active person who only lived life the wild way. She looked... for lack of a better word, off-colour. Gone was the dark sultry eye make-up, rosy cheeks and lusciously-glossed lips.

With light makeup that barely covers the eye bags under her eyes, she looked tired and washed-out.

Being curious and extremely busybody, I asked my friend to elaborate.

"My husband... Husband. God, I will never get used to it. He cuts his toe nails in bed!"

I could almost feel her pounding on the keyboard just to get the sentence out over to me in MSN.

"And he burps in bed. When I am lying next to him! Do you know how disgusting that is?"

As she continued to regale me with the little details that seems like a molehill when you are dating but suddenly becoming a mountain when you living together, I cannot help but feel that she does seem to be kicking a fuss over small things that can be easily resolved with a little communication.

And I told her so.

Then she finally said what was bugging her most about being married, "I don't think that I really love him. I don't think I can spend the rest of my life with him."

Ahhh, okaaaaay. So it's not just really about the toe nails or the burping. Guess I get it just a little. Sometimes, people who have been in a relationship for too long, will choose to proceed to the next natural step, marriage. But few of them really evaluate whether they are just following the flow or if they really want to get married.

And the saddest thing is, everyone thought that they are the perfect couple, the ones really destined and meant to go the distance. I really hope that they can work out their differences, whatever those might be.