Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Jesus, Christianity & I

Sensitivity Alert!!! If you are a Christian, please either read this with an open mind, or stop reading now if you are going to get all defensive. I don't mean disrespect of any kind to any one. These are my true thoughts and feelings about Christianity.

By sheer chance, I came across an article about the Shroud of Turin, which was allegedly the burial cloth of Jesus Christ, and contains an imprint of his face. It's a highly controversial piece of artifact, and probably no one will ever be able to find out the whole truth behind it.

Extremely interested, I began reading up more about this shroud, and also about Jesus Christ. It's a pretty daring gesture on my part, considering the whole religious dilemma situation that I had a couple of years ago. But I feel that I should be able to look at this as a form of study, to know more about this highly controversial man who walked this World thousands of years ago, and had so greatly impact so many people throughout all these years.

It is difficult to pinpoint exactly my feelings as I read about his life. I try to imagine Jesus, as a man, creating miracles everyday of his life, his eventual cruxification, and the image of Jesus in my mind, which is the image of a bearded, long-haired man that Christians prayed to. Suddenly, the whole idea of why Christians love Jesus so much became so much clearer to me.

It's always different to look at the background of a religion as an outsider, and as a devotee. I have always been very exposed to Christianity, I even prayed before meals in nursery and kindergarten classes when I was younger. But I guess I always try to look at it from an outsiders' point of view, kinda like reading about a myth, finding it interesting and leaving it at that. Now that I actually know more about it, and have a clearer picture, it's very affecting. I cannot really describe exactly what the feeling is. Maybe this is how Christians first felt when they felt Jesus trying to reach out to them.

I am a big believer of fate. I am pretty sure that it is not by chance that I chanced across the article on the Shroud of Turin. There are many instances in my life that I have felt the pull of Christianity, that Jesus is actually reaching out to me. So many times that I have wondered if maybe, just maybe, I am destined to be a Christian after all.

And so many times, I have come through, still a Buddhist. I have said before that if I can have two religions, I will be a Buddhist and a Christian, because these are the two religions that have a lot of impact in my life. And I still stand by that.

People don't really see me as the religious sort, because I don't really portray the picture of a devoted Buddhist. But I do feel that Buddhism is the way of life for me. There are times when inner struggles are too hard for me to deal with, and the wisdom of Buddhism help me see things in a different perspective. There are times when I feel fear, whether for myself or for the people that I care about, and I feel that there is always someone looking over my shoulder, protecting all of us. I really feel that part of the reason why I am happy most of the time is because Buddhism helps me to find peace with myself and with a lot of things in life.

I feel that whenever this pull of Christianity comes to me, I pull out Buddhism like a shield, as if to protect myself. I don't know. Sometimes, such things comes naturally to a person.

Maybe someday, I may convert to become a Christian, or I may die a devoted Buddhist. It's hard to say where someone's faith may lead her. I guess it's all up to fate, and I am willing, and more than glad, to explore any path that is offered to me. But right now, I remain a Buddhist who has strong beliefs in Christianity.

Here's something I read that I find really interesting and uplifting, despite the fact that I am not too pleased about the tiny hint of downplaying of the other religions. But it may just be me being overly sensitive because the word "Buddhism" is in there. I just don't like it when people compare religions in a "which is good, which is not" way. Every religion is special and unique in their own ways and to their own devotees. There shouldn't be any comparisons.

"The resurrection of Jesus is what makes Christianity unique and radically different from Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Shintoism, Judaism, and Islam. In fact, the validity of Christianity hinges on the proof of the resurrection of Jesus. If the resurrection never took place, then the Christian faith is based on a lie and people have no true hope for life after they die. But if it is true, then we can do nothing else but accept Jesus as Savior and Lord and receive his gift of love and forgiveness."

PS: I do believe that the Shroud of Turin is the burial cloth of Jesus, because I believe that miracles like that do not just happen. Something great created it.