Sunday, November 20, 2005

2 Movies

I went to watch Dragon Squad and Zathura yesterday during a whopping 6 hours break in between my working shifts. Dragon what? Haha, a lot of people don't seem to know this movie. It's that Hong Kong flick starring Vanness Wu of F4 fame (ha, bet he wonders if he will ever be rid of the stigma of being one of the "flower 4s"), Yu Wen Le, Heo Joon Ho, a familiar face in the Korean entertainment industry, Michael Biehn, among other actors.

It was good.

Somehow, for reasons unknown, I enjoy movies like that. After all, I grew up watching many Hong Kong "police" movies; it's good to watch a good standard fare of good-triumph-over-evil. And I like how the movie is done, there's a trace of the Korean style of making movies where the dialogue is little, but every word spoke volumes. The action pretty much speaks for itself.

There's also the feeling that there is a deeper side to each character, even the badass ones, that we will never get to know, probably because a)the movie has to move along, no dwelling, b)it's good to keep people guessing, and c)some of them died.

Oh, how I love the choreography of modern action scenes. Rather than just fists and legs, they have aids like metal rods, kettles, coats, linens, soy sauce; anything in the vicinity can be used as a weapon. Excellent.

Zathura was a little not what I expected, but to be honest, I did not really have a lot of expectations too, so it turned out alright for me. It's a fun movie, I guess. Hurling through space in a game that could kill you and/or get you eaten at anytime, how fun is that? I somehow figured out the twist the moment the astronaut talked about his past, but hey, it was still funny when the sister realise that she might have done something very bad.

Haha, I am not going to give away the fort, go watch it if you want to know what happened.