Saturday, June 17, 2006

Me & My Dae Jang Geum

A couple of months ago, a few friends of mine were watching Dae Jang Geum. I scoffed at them and called them "aunties". Being a Korean drama aficionado (new word alert!!!) myself, I have heard of this series since it came out in 2003, but I hate seemingly long and draggy stories, set in a seemingly boring era. For heaven’s sake, it’s 71 episodes long! So I tried to refrain from it.

Up until a few weeks ago, when one of my male friends told me that he actually completed the series in one week. HUH? If this male friend, who previously made incessant fun of my penchant for effeminate Korean guys and my soft spot for Rain, could down this series, in what can only be referred to as one sitting in the drama watching culture, then I MUST watch it.

So I succumbed and decided to see what the fuss is all about.

And I love it. Love it right up to the weird, snake-like manner which they wrapped their long, heavy hair around their heads, making them look ridiculously Buddha-like from many angles.

Ahhh, how I love it.

And it’s not because it has the very, very hunky and manly Ji Jin Hee as a love interest. In fact, he’s one of the last few reasons. The main reason that moves me is the bond of sisterhood, the strength and integrity of women in an era where everything would have been difficult for them, right up to the weird, snake-like manner which they wrapped their long, heavy hair around their heads, making them look ridiculously Buddha-like from many angles. Talk about Genderism!

I like how no matter what happens, Jang Geum always brings it. I always find myself tearing up a little whenever she manages to overcome the 124352945934 bad things that always seems to happen to her. And weirdly, instead of being irritated that the story seems to never end happily for her, I find myself looking forward to the next obstacle because I like how her face lights up when she overcomes it. She's such an inspiration.

And it’s definitely neither long nor draggy. It is in fact interesting, engaging, and I actually find myself learning a lot about ancient Korean imperial cuisine, a little about the imperial rankings, and a lot about the food we put on our tables everyday.

And I actually now consider the era to be much more interesting than ours today. No TV, no radio, no internet, so people not only have a lot more time to back-stab, be vindictive, but also appreciate the many things in life, like putting a piece of grass in your mouth and chewing it until all the juices comes out, and that’s where it gets really interesting.

Now I find myself wishing that my hair is long enough for me to tie it in the weird, snake-like manner which they wrapped their long, heavy hair around their heads, making them look ridiculously Buddha-like from many angles.