Saturday, February 02, 2008

A Story Of Courage And My Fat Arms

Currently in the process of shifting the files for my blog over to Divshare, which is a free online storage that is highly recommended by a friend, who quoted that it was highly recommended by Digital ST, whatever that is. I am just a lowly female with absolutely no IT knowledge, and hence I bow to the wisdom of the experts. If they say it's good, it's good enough for me. *grins*

Anyway, I hate shifting web storage; it means that I have to look through all past entries and make sure that all the links are not dead. Although I doubt no one would read my past entries, but I just hate broken links. Call it a pet peeve if you will.

Today is my second attempt at venturing out into the world in a sleeveless top. And I find the following reasons useful when friends ask me why I am suddenly wearing them when I had spent the past few years avoiding them because I have fat arms.

a) I am turning 25 (errrhmmm), it's time I show some skin.
b) Tank tops are cheaper than DCP t-shirts.
c) I am used to winter weather, so Singapore is too hot for me.
d) No reason, don't ask so much. *puts on a angry, pissy face so that they won't ask anymore*

Well, while these reasons are good and true in some parts, the real reason actually runs a little deeper than that. I have always admired big girls who are not only proud of their own bodies, but they also dare to dress like their skinnier counterparts. It's a kind of courage that tells the world, I have a right to dress the way I want, love me for me, not my body. And although I have wanted to show that kind of courage, somehow, I just couldn't.

But I guess I am just sick of being scared. There are just so many things that I am worried or afraid of doing. But I guess my experience in Tokyo really helped me see that I shouldn't worry so much sometimes. I had almost wanted to cancel my Tokyo trip because I was afraid of being alone in a foreign city. And the first day was really miserable for me. But I managed to get over my fear and my misery and went ahead to have a fantastic time in Tokyo, all by my lonesome fabulous self. And I feel so glad that I did not give in to the naggings in my head and cancelled the trip.

So to me, wearing a sleeveless top out is not just because any of the above reasons. To me, it is a form of overcoming my own worries and to stop hiding my shortcomings. I am luckier than most and happier than some, so why should I not be like the rest? I shall NOT let a couple of fat arms stop me from doing something just because I don't dare to do it.

Hmmm, I know I won't be wearing sleeveless tops forever, I kinda feel really fat when I wear them. But for now, it's the small victory I feel for finally overcoming something that had bugged me since I was a teenager. And at least now I can now cross out one thing on my something-I-want-to-do-before-I-turn-25 list. =)