Tuesday, December 22, 2009

It's The Season To Be Holy~~~

Blogging in the office! Envy me bitches!!!

Hmmm, I don't think I can get away with saying that out loud. -_-

So anyway, recently as I drag my sorry fat arse to work every morning, I see this China woman clearing out the garbage at my block. I am not really sure if she is an official employee hired by the government to help make the slum of a HDB flat I live in a much more tolerable place to live in, as indicated by their recent movement to install lifts in every storey in an attempt to ensure that residents such as myself will not roll down the stairs to a premature Alzheimer's in my old age.

Such consideration. I am so very moved.

So anyway, I said I am not sure if she is an official employee because there had been many China women who came to my block at different hours of the day to go through the garbage, looking for scrapes they can salvage and/or sell. Yes, I told you I live in a slum.

Don't get me wrong. I have no issues with that. I have been living in the neighbourhood since I cannot even remember when. I cannot imagine living anywhere else. It's the place I hope to keep and be able to come back to when I grow old. Even after I become damn farking rich and have many many houses across Europe. It's the place where I had a lot of memories, especially that of my late Grandmother, who would always fry me an egg with dinner, attributing to the aforementioned fat arse.

Oh well, what can I say? It's home.

And the area is finally old enough to look a little dingy and slummy. I kinda love it. It's got character and will probably look really vintage compared to luxury flats that is coming up in the next couple of years.

I can imagine coming back years later, gesturing with my ebony walking stick and telling yet-to-be born grandchildren in a feeble croaked voice, "Look... This was where Ah Ma grew up. And there, was where Ah Ma played the see saw and pa-lin-dao... And there... was where I punch a stupid boy in the face, for trying to steal my gor-li..."

Then I will use my ebony walking stick to gesture for my chauffeur to drive up my limousine (OMFG, I don't know how to spell limousine!!!) and send us to our suite at Raffles Hotel, which is where we are staying because we are only back from Europe for a short visit.

Haw haw! I am going to be such a kickass Ah Ma!

Okay, so I digress. The China woman. As she went about her job with much dedication and zeal, you just cannot help but notice the little girl with her. She is about 10 or 12, and would either be sitting at a corner of the lift landing reading a story book, or going through the garbage and picking out bits and pieces to salvage.

The sight of the little girl reading on a dirty floor or going through junk that my inconsiderate neighbours piled at the lift landing really stayed with me (Side note: Some of my neighbours are really KNN disgusting! They really throw anything there! Got once I saw a bag of old underwear!) I find myself tempted to offer her a place to sit and perhaps a hot cup of milo at my place.

I really hope that she is just doing this because it's the school holidays and that what I vaguely remember someone saying that it is mandatory for all kids in Singapore to attend primary school is true.

Every kid deserves a childhood in a school yard, playing with other children screaming their heads off, counting the seconds to the recess bell and the end of the last lesson, hating homework and trying to think up of silly excuses for all sorts of funny misdemeanors that adults see through right away. Giggling a little whenever teachers say the word "period" because it also means something else.

I shall continue to observe the little girl, and see if she suddenly disappears after the year-end holidays end. I really hope she does.

PS: This long entry shall be more than enough to cover up for the foreseen gonnabe lack of entries for the next few weeks!

HAPPY CHRISTMAS YA BITCHES!!!

Nope, still cannot carry that off.