Tuesday, January 05, 2010

A Trip Down Memory Lane

2010 brings forth the irritating reminder that I am going to cross over the threshold of mid-twenties to semi-mid-twenties. Although I am pretty sure I will not stop telling people that I am 18 years old.

Anywhooo, my getting on in the years also signifies another thing. All the great hits of the time when I was just a little girl~~~ has now been attuned to a thing of the past, music of the decades passed. An alien sound to even the hippest and coolest of kids in today's schoolyards, relegated to the paltry state of, dare I say it, an oldie! *HORROR*

My gawd, how overused and hated is the word RETRO.

And I finally understand why my parents always insisted on listening to the old crap from the dusty cassette tapes that they simply refuse to throw away. Because you never forget the tunes of your era and even after many many years, you will find yourself humming to it one day in the office for no particular reason.

So in a bid of embracing nostalgia, I hereby present some of my favourite hits of the time when I was still a teenager, which was like five years ago? ;)

Backstreet Boys, the first band of the boy bands, at least to me. I cannot count how many days I while away singing their songs. They were the first boy band I ever liked and theirs was the first CD I ever bought. And I have to say that I find it uber disturbing that they are still "boys" while I can't even use "girl" without people giving a questioning side glance.

OMG! I still remember every word of this song! Tell me what you want, what you really, really want! Spice Girls and their whole crap about girl power was pretty much the defining factor why a lot of women are bitches nowadays. And why it is okay to be a bitch. No other girl band ever came close to the Spice Girls for me.

Ahhh, Peter Andre. He and his abs were the object of my affection from ages late 13 to early 14. Music-wise, well... he's okay, I guess. But his abs... Major!

Vitamin C aka Colleen Ann Fitzpatrick was one of my favourite female singers back in the day. I thought she was so refreshing with her orangey hair and spunky image. I wonder what happened to her since and if she is still in the business.

The boy band that almost rivaled Backstreet Boys and spawned the madly successful Justin Timberlake. Two questions. One: What happened to the rest of them? Timberlake is doing so well, how can the rest fall so far behind. Two: What the hell is wrong with Timberlake's hair?

Summertime by LFO. Listened to this song a lot while studying for my 'O' levels. I like girls who wear Abercrombie and Fitch~~~ I even used "Rich's Girl" as my mIRC nick for a long time. Wahahaha!

Okay, these are the ones I can remember offhand, although there are many, many others. Then, there is the whole rock/alternative music phase too... But then again, rock music seems to sound even better aged.

Arrgh... Farking hell, I'm old!