Friday, August 05, 2005

Wildness

I do not watch Chinese films in cinemas. When I say Chinese films, it does not just mean films in Chinese, but more towards films made by Chinese. Like Hong Kong films, China films, the works. It's not so much a rule or anything, just that I don't. I seemed to watch anything that is English, Japanese, Korean, even Thai films, everything except Chinese films.

I do not know why. After all, I am a Chinese.

But today, due to having a large amount of time on my hands, I decided to watch Seven Swords. And it was definitely a new experience. The film was done in kinda a feudal-era like setting. Mountains of soil, dirt and miles of rough, barbaric landscapes, where you see nothing but thick grains of dust. It's almost impossible not to be captivated by the raw and savage terrains captured in the movie. Even the forest looks bleak in its lushness. It's just so beautiful.

It's rather typical for a person who grew up in a City to be deeply immersed in a setting like that. To see land in all it's barren, austere wildness. This was what it was before buildings, vehicles, fake plants and greenery. Mesmerising. Simply mesmerising.

It has almost never happened before. That I look at the landscapes more than I look at the characters in a movie.