Monday, September 11, 2006

Shinhwa

As I was sitting in the Singapore Indoor Stadium, at Section A25, Row 5, Seat 1, I suddenly thought back to the first time I "saw" Shinhwa. City Hall MRT station, sometime in October, the large Euphoria advertisement.

I don't even remember what I was thinking at the time. It was just another boyband to me. Fast forward a couple of weeks to November. I saw an advertisement for Shinhwa's 7th album on TV. For some reason, I suddenly felt that I should go find out more about them. I went to their official website. Once again, I was not terribly impressed, except for maybe one of the members who kinda looked cute, those who know me well, will know who I am talking about.

A couple of days later, I saw the advertisement on TV again. Again for reasons unknown, I felt compelled to go to the website again. And while there, struggling to make sense of all the boxes and circles of Korean words, I decided to go download one of their music videos to satisfy my curiousity.

The MV I downloaded was Perfect Man. Huh. Ok, so these six guys are singing about being perfect men? Or what? So I watched.

From that moment on, I was gone.

I watched the MV only once, but for the next couple of days following, the tune would not leave my head. It kept playing on and on in my head. So I watched the MV again, and again. And again.

Suddenly thirsty for more, I kept on looking for more of their stuffs. I bought their albums, looked up all the information about them I could find on the internet, joined a forum so that I could get to know more people who also loves them, I watched their video clips over and over again so that I can tell who is who, and listened to their music over and over until I could tell whose voice from who.

Shinhwa suddenly became very important to me. They became my favourite singing group. They got me hooked on Korean culture. Basically, they opened up a whole new arena of exploration for me.

Their music came at a time when music had almost become unimportant in my life, and became important to me at a time when my life seemed to be spiralling out of control. And just by being them, filled my days with a lot of laughter and happiness. I kept on wishing that they would come to Singapore again, and I would be able to see and hear them live.

And today, sitting in the Singapore Indoor Stadium, listening and watching them. I felt that I had not wasted anything. Not all the hours spent on the internet, not the money spent on buying stuffs related to them, not my time spent at the airport just to catch a glimpse of them, and definitely not the admiration and love that I have for them as a fan.

And although I know that they will never, ever read this, I just want to record down the exact feelings that I have, and what I want to say to them if I ever have the chance.

Thank you for the music, the laughter, and most importantly, thank you for being Shinhwa. Work hard, oppas! I will continue to support your "mugik"!!! ^_^