Sunday, June 26, 2005

A Little Guilt Goes A Long Way...

Finally got my hands on The Machinist to complete my Bale-mania. But now I am considering getting Captain Corelli's Mandolin, which is rightfully the first movie I ever saw him in, and Laurel Canyon, which seems interesting. Oh and Shaft, I used to have a friend who considers Shaft the best movie of the millennium.

Anyway, back to The Machinist; as I was watching it, I thought that it seemed really mediocre. Despite Christian Bale's fantastic portrayal, I cannot help but think that the story could be much better. I really did not understand the comparisons to Identity, which, in my opinion, is damn good. Identity really messes with your mind a little while you are watching it. It's like you take your time trying to absorb the entire movie, then realise that nothing is really real.

But, that was at first. I found myself thinking about The Machinist while I was trying to sleep. I kept thinking about certain things that seems to be scratching the back of my mind. You know, the things that's just beneath the surface, but you cannot seemed to bring it out. So I got up, and watched it again.

It's a little weird, but the second time I watched it, I really start to like it. It's just like what one of the reviews about the movie says. There are certain things that just did not seemed that interesting the first time but became significant when you know what they represent, like the hangman paper, the car, the car-lighter thinggy, the clown thing, etc etc. It's really interesting when you know what's real and what's not, and you start to think that it's really clever the way they do it. That's how I feel anyway.

Well, The Machinist VS Identity, which one is better? I'm not gonna answer that.